As your doula, I will respect and support you. In addition to supporting you with techniques to maximize your comfort and confidence during labour, doula services emphasize informed decision making to make sure that you feel educated and informed before and during the birth of your baby. Only you know what is best for you and your growing family. I believe in your body and strength, and encourage you to connect with your intuition and own inner wisdom. My role as your doula is to offer continuity of care throughout your pregnancy and labour and help you and your partner find ways to feel empowered, comforted and confident in your decisions and trust in your own unique way of birthing your baby.
What is included in birth doula services?
- Two prenatal visits to discuss your preferences and vision for your birth, to practice coping strategies with you and your partner, and to get to know one another so that we all work comfortably together throughout your labor.
- Ongoing emotional & informational support by phone, email or text throughout the duration of your pregnancy.
- Unlimited referrals and access to resources throughout your pregnancy and into the postpartum period.
- 24/7 On-call support starting at 38 weeks of your pregnancy until your baby is born.
- Continual support for you and your birth partner(s) throughout your labor, as well as the immediate postpartum period (1-2 hours after the birth of your baby).
- One postpartum visit in your home to process your birth experience, assist with breastfeeding, and to provide any needed resources/referrals. Think you might like additional postpartum support? Learn more here.
Prenatal visits are designed for us to get to know each other and ensure that you feel informed and confident about what to expect during birth and in those precious hours afterward. They are done in-person at a location that is convenient for us both. If you are taking prenatal classes, these visits are an excellent way to complement everything you're learning. If you wish, I will help you develop a positive birth preference plan that can be used as a tool to help communicate your desires and preferences for the birth of your baby to the rest of your birth team. The birth preferences plan will be your choices, your priorities and your decisions. I am simply there to help you make sense of it all.
Telephone and Email Support
Clients are encouraged to keep in close contact by phone and email between our in-person visits. I am happy to offer additional information, suggest helpful resources and answer questions as birth approaches. This support extends to the postpartum period, where I can direct you to a variety of resources in the community.
Support During Your Birth
During your birth, you will benefit from skilled use of comfort measures which can help you feel as calm and comfortable as possible. Some techniques used are the use of heat or cold application, counter pressure, massage, visualization, affirmations, breathing and relaxation techniques.
The role of the doula before and during birth is different than the role of the medical professionals you may be inviting to your birth (Midwives, GPs, Obstetricians, or Nurses). Wondering how they differ? Here is a good explanation.
If you have a partner that plans to take an active role in supporting you during birth, birth doula support will benefit him/her as well, and we will work together to ensure that you are fully supported. To learn more about Dads and Doulas working together, click here.
Each client has the opportunity to borrow books from my lending library.
Not sure if hiring a doula is in your family's budget? A flexible payment plan may be an option. Check out this article for some good ideas on how to work a doula's fee in to your budget.